Jawatan Kosong Suruhanjaya Hak Asasi Manusia (SUHAKAM)
Jawatan Kosong Suhakam
About The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (SUHAKAM)
The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia – SUHAKAM is the national human rights institution (NHRI) of Malaysia. It was established by the Malaysian Parliament under the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia Act 1999, Act 597, and began its work in April 2000. Its mandate is to promote human rights education, advise on legislation and policy, and conduct investigations. For the period 2010-2013 the commission is headed by Tan Sri Hasmy Agam, a former diplomat.
Having been established after the fallout of the Anwar Ibrahim controversy, some lacked confidence in its independence fom the government of the then Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Muhammad. However, when Tan Sri Dato’ Musa Hitam was named as the first chairman of the (initially, 13-member) commission, these fears were eased, as he was believed to be critical of Mahathir in many ways. The commission’s recommendations under Musa, however, were often not implemented by the government. When his two-year term ended, he did not seek reappointment.
Musa was replaced with Tan Sri Abu Talib Othman in April 2002. Abu Talib had served as Attorney General under Mahathir, and was also involved in the Anwar Ibrahim controversy. As reported in Malaysiakini, he was widely seen as close to Mahathir, but SUHAKAM under Abu Talib continued to put forth many human rights recommendations. Many of these recommendations have yet to be acted upon by the government.
SUHAKAM was accredited as a full “A status” member of the Asia Pacific Forum (APF), the regional network of NHRIs, and has since been reaccredited by the International Co-ordinating Committee of National Human Rights Institutions (ICC) to which the APF now defers on accreditation.
In 2008 SUHAKAM was asked by the accreditation subcommittee of the ICC to explain in writing within a year why it should not be downgraded from A status to B status, which would deprive it of certain access privileges within the United Nations system. The ICC sought to encourage the Government of Malaysia to amend the body’s founding laws and make it more independent. However, when SUHAKAM was reviewed by the ICC in November 2009, it was decided to retain its A status pending a further review to be carried out in 2010, with particular attention to the process for selecting members of the commission.
Qualified Malaysian citizens invited to fill the vacancies at Suruhanjaya Hak Asasi Manusia as follows :
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Accounting is accredited by the Commission of the institutions of higher education or a qualification recognized equivalent thereto, or
- Full Member of Professional Accounting Bodies accredited by the Commission; credit in Bahasa Malaysia and English at SPM level or equivalent recognized by the Commission;
- Have at least 5 years experience in Accounting, Finance and Investment, and
- Skilled in planning, implementing and controlling all matters relating to accounting and finance, including the formulation of policies and finance.
2. Penolong Setiausaha
- Bachelor of Laws with Honours or Master’s degree in International Relations or a qualification recognized as equivalent by the Commission; credit in Bahasa Malaysia and English at SPM level or equivalent recognized by the Commission;
- Have knowledge and understanding of the issues of human rights and social justice in Malaysia;
- Have the ability to conduct research and produce evidence-based analysis and recommendations;
- Have at least 3 years experience in a related field;
- Can work as a team with minimal monitoring, and
- Ability to converse and write in Bahasa Malaysia and English.
How to apply
Candidates who are interested can submit a letter of application containing personal information, including copies of academic certificates and certified copies of passport certified and passport-sized photo (non-returnable) to:
Suruhanjaya Hak Asasi Manusia Malaysia
Unit Sumber Manusia
Tingkat 11, Menara TH Perdana, 1001 Jalan Sultan Ismail
50250 Kuala Lumpur.
Laman Web : www.suhakam.org.my
Further information and how to apply, please follow :
Jawatan Kosong Suhakam Closing Date : 14 Mac 2014